Sunday, July 29, 2012

Taco Salad

My husband and I love watching the Olympics, and my favorite is the summer games.  So, for the two weeks that they come around if our tv is on, we are watching some event.

Right now we are watching women's beach volleyball.  We just got the kids down for bed, I got all comfy on the coach getting ready to write about some gooey delicious dessert...and look up to see these totally fit, athletic women, running around in bikinis, without an ounce of fat on their bodies! BTW...Quick shout out to Jen Kessy from our very own San Clemente!  USA! USA! USA!

Um, yea...lets just say feeling kind of chubby sitting on the couch just thinking about desserts!  You know the feeling?  Okay...plan B! Let me tell you about a SALAD!  




That sounds a little more guilt free, doesn't it?  I am not saying this is a salad these olympic athletes would eat when training, but it is at least a little more along the lines....and it is one of my favorite salads that I look forward to every summer!  So I guess it is fitting (no pun intended) that I tell you about it during the summer olympics (don't get me wrong you can make this salad anytime during the year but for me soups are more wintery and salads are more summery).   Just my opinion!


Ingredients:
1 lb. ground chicken or beef
1/2 chopped onion
red or green leaf lettuce
green onions
garbanzo beans
kidney beans
cilantro
tomatoes
avocado
Nacho Cheese Doritos chips
Thousand Island salad dressing

  • Saute the onion, when soft and translucent add the meat and cook until brown.  Season with salt and pepper.  Once cooked I like to add the cilantro to the meat for color but you can also use it to top the salad, if you prefer.
  • Prep the other ingredients; rinse and drain beans, cut lettuce, avocado, tomato, green onions.
  • I like to lay out all the ingredients and then let everyone create their own salad.  My  3 1/2 year old son thinks it is so fun to choose what he gets to have on his salad, trying to add mostly chips.  Or you can make one big salad to share.


Other suggestions for great additions or substitutions depending on taste:

corn
black beans
bell peppers
cucumbers
shredded cheese
Fritos chips (my hubby's favorite, chili cheese flavor)
Chipotle Ranch Dressing
French Dressing

Be creative and have fun!  You can't go wrong!
Pin It Now!

No comments: