Thursday, August 16, 2012

German Chocolate Bars

Ahh....back home from a fabulous two week vacation visiting my family in Northern California, grocery shopping done, house cleaned, and both boys are taking their snoozies.  It is one of those afternoons where I sit back and feel totally overwhelmed by all God has blessed us with. I am a happy mom!  (Post a comment, I would love to hear if you have ever had one of these moments).

Now to make it absolutely perfect afternoon....CHOCOLATE!!!


I love all chocolate...but cakes and cookies are my favorite form of chocolate.  Which is why I was so excited when I saw these bars (a sort of combination of the two) on Six Sisters' Stuff, who got it from Paula Deen, and she is known for using lots of butter so you know its gona be good! 

I made these for a family party when I was at my parents and they were a big hit.  I had several requests for the recipe.  So Aunties, here it is...


Ingredients:

Bottom Layer:
1 box devil's food cake mix (not the kind with pudding added)
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1 egg

Top Layer:
1 14oz can sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips

Method:

  • Turn your oven on to 350 degrees. Grease to prepare a 9x13 pan.
  • Mix the cake mix, butter, and egg then press the batter into the prepared cake pan (so that the batter is not coming up the edges).  
  • Bake for 7 minutes and remove from the oven (it obviously will not be done, you just want to firm it up before putting the top layer on.
  • While the bottom layer is baking mix together the condensed milk, vanilla, egg, pecans, and coconut. 
  • After the 7 minutes pour mixture evenly over the bottom layer and sprinkle the chocolate chips on top.
  • Bake again for 24-30 minutes or until the top is golden brown.  (I always like my bars on the gooey side so I err on the side of taking them out earlier).
  • Cool completely before cutting them and serving.
After writing this it looks like I am going to have to bake something chocolatey tonight... looks like my hubbies work is in for a treat tomorrow.
Pin It Now!

1 comment:

Elizabeth J. Neal said...

Thank you for the update, very nice site.. sneaker chocolate