Monday, August 6, 2012

Sourdough Pancakes

THE BEST PANCAKES EVER!


These are not the traditional big, round, fluffy pancakes that pile high when you stack them.  Sourdough pancakes are sweet, like crepes, and tend to take on whatever shape gravity calls them to, so they are not the prettiest pancakes in the world.  But sometimes my friends, looks aren't everything!
*pause* as we soak in that life lesson.........

okay, moment over.


I grew up eating these pancakes at my grandma's house.  We would wake up early to the smell and sound of my grandma cooking breakfast in the kitchen.  This was a special treat because grandma's house was the only place we could eat these delicious pancakes, since you need to have a sourdough starter to make the recipe (don't worry I have included a link below on how to make your own).  It was is something me and my cousin still look forward to when we stay at grandmas, and know my kids get share in my memory too.  But just a tip for when you are cooking at someone else's house.  Be sure you know what jar they keep their sugar and salt in.  I might have once poured in salt instead of sugar.... oh my, did that turn out to be a disgusting disappointing breakfast.  To keep my cooking reputation in tact I wont tell you how old I was when I made that mistake (...maybe last week, eekk)!  In my defense, who puts their salt in a jar?  I guess my cute grandma does.

Now, since I have a family of my own my grandma passed along to me, my very own sourdough starter.  My family looks forward to eating these pancakes on special occasions and our family and friends request them if they happen to be coming to our house for breakfast!  Once you get your hands on a starter I know you will enjoy these pancakes as much as I do.


Method:

The night before you want to eat these...

  • Take out your Sourdough Starter from the refrigerator and add
  • Add 1 cup luke warm water
  • and 1 1/4 cup flour
  • Mix, cover with plastic wrap and let sit out on the counter overnight.
            *For this step DO NOT use any metal bowls or mixing utensils

In the morning...

  • Remove 1 cup of the sourdough starter and place in a plastic or glass airtight container that can at least hold 2 cups. 
  • To the remaining starter *Now OK to use metal objects* add
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup oil
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 egg
  • Mix really well and let sit for 5 minutes.
Turn your griddle to high or 400 degrees and pour on as you would "regular" pancakes.  You will know it is time to turn them over when little bubbles are throughout the pancake.

Serve with fruit, syrup or my favorite topping butter...yep thats it!  

Sourdough Tips...
**If you want to give away a starter then double the step at night and in the morning take out 2 cups  
    and place in 2 containers (1 for you and 1 for friend).
**If you want more pancakes in the morning double the step at night and in the morning take out your 
    1 cup and double the rest of the ingredients.
**Do not try and do more than double the sourdough starter recipe!
Pin It Now!

No comments: